Saturday, January 8, 2011

Herbed Butter Penne, 1/6/11


I found a very simple recipe from Epicurious.com but it called for angel hair pasta, which I didn't have in the pantry (crazy, I know!). I decided to use penne instead. I will notate this in the ingredients list by inserting brackets.

Angel Hair Pasta with Broccoli and Herb Butter
courtesy of Epicurious.com
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted European-style butter*, room temperature2 TB chopped fresh basil
2 TB chopped fresh Italian parsley1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp olive oil8 oz angel hair pasta [8 oz penne rigate pasta]
2 cups small broccoli floretsGrated Parmesan cheese (optional)


Mix first 4 ingredients in small bowl.

Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add pasta and cook until almost tender, about 3 minutes. Add broccoli and boil until pasta is tender but still firm to bite and broccoli is crisp-tender, about 1 minute longer. Drain pasta and broccoli; transfer to large serving bowl. Add herb butter and toss well to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve, passing Parmesan cheese separately if desired.

*My butter did not say European-style on it and we thought the dish was perfect as it was. I also cooked the pasta for an additional 8 minutes after adding the broccoli. I didn't feel as though 4 minutes of cooking time was adequate for this type of pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment